Kids Luau Party Theme
A kids luau party is one of the most popular kids party themes at the moment. It's fun, festive and just great for those hot summer days.
I've put together some easy, quick but really effective ideas to help you get the party started.
Kids Luau Party Invitations
When it comes to Luau Party invitations, just think tropical. So palm trees, shells, tropical flowers, coconuts etc are all good starting points.
You could easily make your own invites by drawing or printing tropical images onto craft card and then writing something like the following :
Aloha (child's name)
Are you ready to party?
You are invited to limbo on down at : (Address)
Put flowers in your hair and wear your best "Island Wear" And great ready to hula and limbo, that's if you dare!
- Flower Invite
Using colored craft paper, cut out a simple flower shape with several petals on it. On each petal right one part of the party details and then in the middle, put a photo of the birthday child.
- Sun Umbrella Invite
Get a piece of colored card and cut to the size of the desired invite. Glue a smaller piece of white craft paper onto the card so that there is a visible colored border all round. Write on the party details then attach a paper drinks umbrella with a bit of sticky tape.
- Flip Flop invite
Using strong colored card, cut out a flip flop shape. Write on the party details. Make three holes and thread through some colored ribbon to resemble the flip flop straps. You could also adorn it with some small paper flowers.
Kids Luau Party Costumes
A big part of the Kids Luau Party is the dressing up bit! It should be fun, bright and tropical. Imagine grass skirts, flower necklaces, flower hair accessories, Hawaiian shirts, straw hats, flip flops and sarongs.
A grass skirt is quite easy to make but cutting a piece of elastic to the size of your child's waist and then folding pieces of raffia over the elastic. Once done, trim the raffia at the bottom to make it even. Alternatively get your hands on these KID'S FLOWERED GREEN LUAU HULA SKIRTS.
Ask everyone to come in at least one tropical item and then you can always supply a few extra items for those kids that need a helping hand. A nice idea is that when the guests arrive, give each of them a flower necklace/bracelet/anklet/hair decoration for the girls or bandannas for the boys.
You could also find out the kid's names in Hawaiian and issue small name tags – the kids are usually fascinated by this.
Kids Luau Party Decorations
The Kids Luau Party decorations are where you can really go to town. Think bright, flowery, tropical and festive and you can't go wrong. There are heaps of websites selling kids Luau party supplies however you can also make many of the Kids Luau Party decorations yourself using card, glue, paints and a little imagination.
- Raffia Skirting
Place raffia skirting around the main food table or if you can't get hold of any, just use a colorful cloth.
- Tiki Torches and Lanterns
If it is an evening party, go overboard with lots of lanterns and tiki torches dotted around the garden or porch.
- Towel Seats
Forget chairs, and instead get the kids to sit on beach towels or straw mats when eating.
- Wall Decorations
String up netting on the walls and attach paper fish and shells. Paint a beach scene on lining paper and attach to the walls. Also, get down to your local travel agents and ask for posters of tropical islands and even have a few holiday brochures dotted about.
Or how about this GIANT LUAU DECORATING KIT which contains everything you'll need to transform an ordinary room into an extraordinary Luau masterpiece!
- Get Flowery
Put brightly colored flowers everywhere. Make them yourself out of tissue paper to save money. At the entrance to the party, fill a large bowl with water and float some orchids or lilies in it.
- Balmy Palms
Erect an INFLATABLE PALM TREE in one corner of the room. Or save money and make your own palm tree. Ask your local carpet shop for long cardboard carpet rolls and then paint them brown and attach some palm leaves made out of green craft paper.
- Table Decorations
Use coconut shells or scooped out pineapples as serving bowls. Serve the drinks in coconut shells or bright plastic cups with a paper umbrella. Dot shells around the tables. If you are a dab hand at napkin folding, make napkins in the shape of a lotus flower.
Get the kids luau party swinging with some topical luau party music. Below is a great CD which is suited to kids.
Kids Luau Party Games
I've got some great games and activities such as Coconut Bowling, Limbo, Hula Hoop Contest, CLICK HERE
Kids Luau Party Food
The idea with a kids luau party is to think fruity or if you think that the younger kids might turn their noses up at that, bring in the BBQ. The more exciting the food looks the more it is likely to get eaten. Use empty coconut shells, scooped out melons and pineapples, banana leaves, wicker baskets and plastic sand pails as serving dishes to give a real tropical feel.
- Fruity Kebabs. Use seasonal fruits and skewer bite size pieces on sticks. Have a bowl of melted chocolate sauce to dip them in to tempt those who are wary of fruit!
- Hawaiian pizza
- Snack Buckets. Serve mini snacks in sand buckets with plastic shovels as serving spoons
- BBQ Chicken is always popular
- Melted Marshmallows. Toast marshmallows on sticks round a camp fire
- Fruit Smoothies. Put fruits, plain natural yogurt and a little fruit juice in a blender. Give it a whiz and create a really refreshing smoothie drink. Serve in tall plastic glasses, topped with an umbrella and a glace cherry.
- Hawaiian Cocktails. Mix fruit juices with some lemonade in tropical cups or real coconut cups. Top with ice and get cool!
- Blue Lagoon. Add a small dash of blue food coloring to a glass of fizzy lemonade. Top with an umbrella and a bendy straw.
- Volcano Bombs. Pile scoops of ice-cream on a large platter to form a volcano shape. Drizzle with strawberry and chocolate syrup. You could even set it alight by placing a half egg shell on the top filled with a tablespoon of brandy. Set it alight and watch the kid's faces! (Remove the brandy egg shell after the flames die down…)
- Banana Cookies. Recipe here.
- Pineapple Cake
- Flower Cookies. Make or buy plain cookies and top with sugar flowers
- Island Cake. Using a large square tin, prepare a basic cake using a packet cake mix or my all-in-one cake recipe. When cooked and cooled, cut out small indentations to make an island shape or your choice. Place on a large cake board covered with blue cellophane to represent the sea and then cover the cake with pale yellow frosting to represent the sand. Decorate the cake with plastic palm trees, umbrellas and clusters of sugar flowers.
Kids Luau Party Favors and Prizes
Fill up beach pails or straw hats with goodies or make tie dyed cloth bags. Favor ideas might include:
- Light up Rainbow Lei
- Hibiscus Water Bottle
- Child's Natural Hula Skirt
- Keep Cool Paper Fans
- Ankle bracelets
- Hair flowers
- Bandannas and straw hats
- Anything with a sea or beach theme e.g. notepads, key rings, stickers
- Beach balls and inflatable toys
You May Also Like
Kids Party Home > Birthday Party Themes
> Kids Luau Party Theme