Shortbread Cookie Recipe
This shortbread cookie recipe is one of my top cookie mixes.
It is not the luxury traditional shortbread but the flavor is fantastic and the just melt in your mouth. Plus being an easy recipe, it is a great one for the kids to help you with.
Basically, it is quick and easy to make, tastes delicious and you can use it for any shape and size cookie so it works well with any kids party theme.
Ingredients for Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus extra for decorating
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes about 12
Equipment: Mixing bowl, Wooden spoon, Baking sheet lined with parchment paper, Rolling pin, Cookie cutter, Cooling tray, sieve
- 225g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 small orange - grated rind and 1 tablespoon juice
- Flour for rolling and dusting
- Frosting, icing sugar or other decorating foods
How to Make Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/ gas mark 4. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Place flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into small pieces and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in the orange rind and juice, then mold the mixture into a ball with your hands.
- If the cookie ball feels a bit sticky, wrap it in cling film and pop it in the fridge for 20 mins.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough lightly then roll out until 5mm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter cut out shapes and place on the baking sheet.
- Cook for 10 minutes until pale golden brown. Carefully loosen with a palette knife and leave to cool.
- When cool decorate with frosting, or dust with a little icing sugar or whatever you choose to decorate with.
Did You Know......
Scotland is credited as the birthplace of shortbread. It all started in the Medieval times when any leftover dough from bread making was dried out in a low oven until it hardened into a type of rusk know as "biscuit bread". The word "biscuit" actually means "twice cooked". Over time the yeast in the bread was replaced by butter, and thus biscuit bread developed into shortbread.
Favorite Party Food Cookery Books
Kids Party Home > Cookies and Treats
Have You Got a Great Cookie Recipe That You Want To Share?
If you have a great recipe for kids cookies or cakes, then come on down and share it!
> Shortbread Cookie Recipe