These delicious Christmas cookies are easy to make and make a nice gift placed in a pretty tin or box. We make them every year in our house although I really should make more as they never last long!
And if you are having a kid's Christmas party, then these yummy cookies are perfect to add to your party food table or the kids could decorate them as one of your party activities
Ingredients for Christmas Cookies
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus decorating time
Cooking Time: 10 - 12 minutes
Makes 20 - 30 cookies
Equipment: Baking tray, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, cookie cutters,
- 50g plain flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup (this is a UK product so use corn syrup if you are in the US)
- Cold water to mix
- Icing sugar
- Lemon juice or water
- Food coloring
- Edible Decorations
- Preheat the oven to 180C /Gas mark 4. Then lightly grease the baking tray with a little butter.
- In the bowl, mix together the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda.
- Rub in the butter until it all resemble fine bread crumbs and then add the sugar.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture along with the golden syrup or corn syrup.
- Using your hands, mix the mixture together until it forms a soft dough. If it is too dry, just add a dessert spoon of warm water.
- Wrap the dough in Cling film or a plastic bag and pop it in the fridge for 1/2 hour. Use this time to wash up.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough until it is about 5cm (1/4 in) thick. Using a cookie cutter cut out shapes and carefully lift them onto the greased tray. Place then about 5cm (2 in) apart.
- Cook in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes until golden brown. If you are like me and like them a little soft in the middle then 10 minutes may be fine.
- Cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Make the icing by mixing some icing sugar with a little lemon juice or water to form a smooth but not runny icing. Add coloring if you want. Then decorate to your hearts content.
More Themed Party Ideas
Kid’s Party Ideas
Christmas Party Themes