I am a sucker for meringues and this meringue recipe is my favorite. Meringues are so easy to make if you follow a few simple rules and I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like them!
Meringues should generally be pale colored and crispy on the outside and soft and marshmallowy on the inside.
Ingredients for Meringue Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Makes about 20 medium sized meringues
Equipment: Electric Mixer or hand whisk, Large mixing bowl, Baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper, 2 desert spoon spoons.
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
Meringue Recipe - How to Make
- Line a large baking sheet with some grease-proof paper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C
- Place the egg whites in a large and clean mixing bowl (a dirty bowl will stop the egg whites from fluffing up).
- Add approximately 1/8 cup of the caster sugar and whisk until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add another 1/8 cup of the caster sugar and whisk again. Repeat this process until you have used up all the sugar. The meringue should now look glossy and be thick and white and should not fall out of the bowl should you turn the bowl upside down.
- Using a desert spoon, scoop up a portion of the meringue mix and using the other spoon push the meringue mix onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat until you have used up all the meringue mixture. You could also make MERINGUE NESTS.
- Pop in the oven for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 275°F/140°C.
- Continue baking for about an hour for meringues that are crispy on the outside but slightly chewy in the center. If your prefer meringues that are dry all the way through then cook for one and a half hours.
- Turn off the oven and open the door slightly. Leave the meringues in the oven to cool. A couple of hours is ideal. Alternatively I sometimes leave them in the oven overnight with the door shut and the oven off. Just don't forget that they are in there when you next come to use the oven!
Suggestion: Add a bit of pink food coloring to one half of the mixture so you can have different colored meringues or drizzle with melted chocolate - very yummy!
Did You Know.....
The hardness or softness of meringues depends on how much sugar is beaten into the egg whites. Beating the egg whites causes the egg protein to form a film that traps air bubbles and then the sugar causes the foam to stiffen.
Favorite Party Food Cookery Books
I have found it so hard to find just one cook book dedicated to kids savory party food. Most have lots of extra bits about planning and decorating that I don't necessarily want.
So I have done a bit of searching and come up with the 3 that I consider the best in terms of savory kids party food ideas. Take your pick.
Home > Cookies and Treats
Have You Got a Great Cookie Recipe That You Want To Share?
If you have a great recipe for kids cookies or cakes, then come on down and share it!
> Meringue Recipe