A piñata at any type of party is ALWAYS a hit! Learn these simple rules for a 'whacking' good time.
You can get piñatas pretty much anywhere nowadays. Check out your local party store or even some bigger dollar stores have them. They have them for every occasion and every shape and size! Or you could try making your own! Find out how to make your own pull string piñata here or traditional piñata here.
Psst... while you're here why not download the Ultimate Guide To Kids Party Success from Lock Paper Scissors. It's written by parents to be jam-packed full of the best party tips on the planet: Signup below to download:
WHAT YOU NEED
- Piñata filled with sweets/trinkets
- Stick or baseball bat
- Somewhere to suspend the piñata
- Plenty of space without breakable objects nearby
HOW TO PLAY
- Using the instructions that came with your piñata, attach the piñata to a tree branch, beam, climbing frame or any other suitable hanging place.
- Place the piñata at a height that will allow it to swing freely and where the guests can reach it with the stick.
- Line everyone up at least 10 feet or so from the piñata.
- Blindfold the first person and give them the stick.
- Bring them within about 3 feet of the piñata and ask them to try and hit it with the aim of breaking it. Older kids could also be turned around a couple of times on the spot so that they are a bit disoriented. This makes it harder for them to know where the piñata is.
- Each child then gets a turn, or possibly several, to try and hit the piñata. Normally people are a bit unsure and timid at first, but once they get the hang of it there's no stopping them!
- NOTE: Don't let the children who are waiting in line move forward towards the hitter, as a blindfolded child with a swinging bat can be quite dangerous.
- As soon as the piñata breaks open and the treats shower down, the children can scramble to pick up the goodies.
- It can turn into quite a scramble, which can be a bit frightening for the younger children, so make sure that you have a bit of control over the scramble and that everyone gets their fair share of treats.
Here are some fun piñata ideas: