MEXICAN FIESTA PARTY IDEAS FOR KIDS
Mexican fiestas always conjure up images of dancing, laughter, lively games, delicious Mexican food, bright colors and tons of fun. Here's how to host one yourself!
This celebration theme can equally be applied to a Cinco de Mayo party and the great part about it is that it is suited for all ages, from tots to adults.
FIESTA PARTY INVITATION
Making your own fiesta party invitations is easy. Here are a few ideas:
- Using colored card, draw around a template of a sombrero, chili or Mexican flag. Color them in or just outline the shape with a bright colored marker pen and then write the event details.
- Cut out a square or rectangle on colored card (the brighter the better) and write the event details on the card. Make a paper fringe using colored paper (choose a bright contrasting color to the card) and glue that to the top edge of the card. Trim the fringe so that it only covers half the card.
- Buy some plain maracas and using a permanent marker pen write the event details on them. Then tied a colored ribbon around the handle.
- Take a rectangular piece of paper and write the event details on it. Then fold the paper in a concertina style to form a fan. Secure an elastic band round the bottom and then add a colored ribbon.
Giving people a few costume tips on the invites never hurts. For example, bright flowing skirts for the girls and stripy shirts or cummerbunds for the boys. Another alternative is to provide guests with sombreros when they arrive. This will certainly get them excited and ready to celebrate!
There are lots of ways to decorate for this party theme, so have fun with that! Think bright primary colors, plus green, red and white - the colors of the Mexican flag.
- Hang up lots of red, white and green balloons.
- Pin up a Mexican flag and/or a map of Mexico.
- Make a doorway curtain out of colored streamers.
- Use a colorful Mexican blanket as a tablecloth on the food table and place tissue paper flowers next to each place setting.
- Print small images of the Mexican flag and attach them to toothpicks to dot around the table.
- Hang a pair of maracas or a sombrero on your front door or gate as a welcome sign.
- Play salsa or mariacci music to set the mood.
- Decorate the table with brightly colored paper plates and cups, or use terracotta pottery and straw mats. There is a lot of Mexican fiesta tableware available but Amazon has great options.
- Taco crisps and dried snacks. Serve them in terracotta bowls. You could also place the bowls in upside down sombrero hats for something different.
- Set up a taco bar. Everyone loves to get to personalize their meal! Have different bowls of cheese, iceberg lettuce, salsa, tomatoes, seasoned meat, refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, chives and anything else you can think of. Yum!
- BBQ corn.
- Quesadillas. Always a favourite.
- Loaded nachos. Use tater tots as a unique twist!
- Tropical fruit salad. Serve in plastic cocktail glasses and decorated with paper umbrellas.
- Fruity ice creams and sorbet.
- Ice cold fruity drinks or non-alcoholic cocktails.
- Cactus cake. For a quick and easy recipe, use a packet cake mix and make two cakes - one in a 9 x 13-inch oblong tin and another 7 inch round. Slice the oblong cake in half along its length and line up the 2 pieces to form the cactus trunk. Cut out a circle in the center of the round cake using a large cookie cutter - discard this piece or freeze for later. Using the larger circle's outer circle, cut it in half and position the two halves against the cactus trunk to look like arms. Cover with green icing and sprinkle lightly with coconut flakes to give the impression of thorns.
- Churros with caramel and chocolate dipping sauces.
GAMES & ACTIVITIES
Aim for fun and bright party favors:
- Paper fans
- Paper flowers
- Inflatable cactus
- Small trinkets and jewelry
- Straw hats or Sombreros
- Mexican flags
- Mini maracas
Check out these Mexican Fiesta party ideas from Amazon.