Mini Cheese Onion Olive Scones
I got this yummy recipe for these mini cheese onion olive scones from Delia Smith's Christmas cookery book and I initially made them for an adult party. However the kids seemed to like them so much that now I often cook them for kid's parties as well.
They are meant to have a slightly piquant bite but for kids you might want to omit the mustard and pepper.
Delia Smith's Christmas Book - Amazon.co.uk
Delia Smith's Christmas: 130 Recipes for Christmas - Amazon.com
Ingredients - Mini Cheese Onion Olive Scones
This quantity makes 25-30 scones
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder(optional)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- freshly milled black pepper
- 25g butter
- 40g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 40g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 medium egg
- 6 black olives, stoned and chopped
Method - Mini Cheese Onion Olive Scones
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ gas mark 6. Lightly flour a large baking sheet.
- Fry the onion in the oil for 5-6 minutes until it's turned a nice caramel color. Transfer the onion to a plate to cool.
- Sift the flour, salt, mustard and pepper (if using) into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter and then add the cooled onion, olives and 2/3 of the grated cheeses. Mix well with a round edged knife.
- Beat the egg and pour this in, still mixing with the knife. When sufficiently blended, use your hands to form a soft dough, adding some milk if necessary.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it till smooth. Roll out to about 2cm thick and then cut into rounds using a 3cm plain cutter. NB If the dough is sticking to the cutter, flour the cutter regularly.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet, brush with milk and sprinkle on the remaining grated cheeses.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Kids Party Home > Savory Party Food
Note: These are best served slightly warm, however, they freeze superbly once cooked. Just remove them from the freezer when you want to eat them and re-heat in a hot oven for about 4 minutes before serving. They can be eaten as they are or you could split them horizontally and add a cheesy spread topping or a wee bit of butter. Try not to eat them all at once!
> Mini Cheese Olive Scones